Warner Bros. Settles Tattoo Lawsuit Over 'Hangover: Part II'
Warner Bros. has settled the lawsuit brought by tattoo artist S. Victor Whitmill, who sued the studio for using the distinctive facial tattoo he gave Mike Tyson in the sequel without his permission.
Whitmill, who held the copyright for the tattoo, originally sought an injunction and damages for copyright infringement.
A judge denied his request for the injunction last month -- because it would have done too much damage to all parties involved -- but admitted that the tattoo artist had a strong case and allowed it to move forward.
Warner Bros. had said they would digitally alter the facial design for the movie's DVD release with a trial set for February 21, 2012. But that will no longer be necessary now that the lawsuit has been settled.
"Warner Bros. and Whitmill have amicable resolved their dispute," Whitmill's attorney, Geoff Gerber, said in a joint statement with the studio, without providing additional details.
The sequel has already surpassed the worldwide box office total of the first film to become the biggest R-rated comedy of all time with nearly $490 million. So there was definitely plenty of money to throw around.